[guadec-list] Multiple Displays BoF

Hey all!

Cassidy from System76 and elementary here. David Jordan (also from System76) and I are organizing a multi-display BoF for GUADEC. The audience is Mutter, GNOME Shell, and Settings developers in addition to anyone experienced or interested in UX design. The current plan is for July 10, Room 1, Morning and Afternoon. I've added it to the wiki as instructed, but I'm sure the scheduling is flexible.

https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/2018/Hacking%20days/DisplaysBoF

The story behind this interest is that a majority of System76 customers using GNOME use multiple displays; i.e. a laptop plus external displays, or a desktop with multiple monitors. We're interested in taking a look at the current experience and how it could be improved for these use cases. I'm particularly interested in investigating the different contexts in which multiple displays are used, and how the expectations and experience may differ. I know it's often assumed that only "neckbeard terminal-loving hackers" use multiple displays and window management features like tiling, but in our experience that's definitely not the case, and it's something our customers have shown to use in data entry, broadcast, sales, and other roles.

elementary OS is also interested in the shared code in Mutter and how it can continue to be flexible to different DEs and their possibly-differing multi-display experiences.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or would like any clarifications, and I'd love to know who would want to and be able to attend. We'd love for this to be a productive conversation and planning session for shared interests in making GNOME the best desktop for users with multiple displays.

Best regards,
Cassidy James Blaede
System76 UX Architect