Re: [guadec-list] conference software

On 21 October 2017 at 01:50, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
Hola Tobi!

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 2:54 AM Tobias Mueller <muelli cryptobitch de>
wrote:

Hi.

On Fri, 2017-10-20 at 01:26 +0000, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
LAS is looking to move to a new conference software.  We would like to
move to OSEM (http://osem.io/).  I realize there was some talk about
using whatever FOSDEM is using, but honestly that software is 8 years
old and nobody supports it.
What software are you talking about?

I believe it was called pentabarf.  Github says it hasn't been touched in a
long awhile.

Frab? I don't have the impression that it's neither unmaintained nor not
supported. In fact, it sets standards when it comes to an open format
for the conference's schedules.
https://github.com/frab/frab

Nope, is that what fosdem is using?

From what I can see, it's used very extensively by important European
conferences (FOSDEM, FrOSCon, CCCongress, PrivacyWeek, ...).

  There is 5-6 dedicated people for OSEM.
But is anybody actually using it? Besides the people themselves for
openSuSE Conference.

I believe small conferences like SeaGL is using it, and large conferences
like AllThingsOpen is using it.  There are probably some other ones.

  So, I'm hoping to make an executive decision and move to OSEM.
What's your reasoning so far?

Mostly because I have to spin up a website for LAS very quickly and start
working on call for papers and a number of other things.  I have a short
deadlines since I am driving fundraising for htis conference.  If we are
going to make fundraising goal for a spring conference (eg May) I don't have
a lot of time.  The website is the current focal point.

That said, I don't want to use something and then have GUADEC something
else.  It makes no sense to have two conferences using different software so
I want to push to have both GUADEC and LAS/GINA use the same software.  The
other issue is that whatever we pick we are our on our own, from what I
understand GNOME sysadmins won't support any other conference software other
than whatever we used this year.  I wasn't happy with the experience and I
don't believe it is a scalable process.  OSEM is attractive as that I will
have support from a team and considering that we are co-locating two
conferences in the same location there is a slight bit of complexity.  If I
have to find hosting outside the GNOME infra, at least let me get it with
someone who is working to help me and is eager to help.  But if both
conferences use OSEM then perhaps we can convince sysadmin to host it on our
infra.

Lastly, we also have this -
https://github.com/openSUSE/travel-support-program, which will probably help
the travel committee when it comes to dealing with travel subsidies.  If all
of this comes integrated then we save a lot of time for everyone.

We assessed it some time ago and decided that it didn't work how we
needed it to.

In any case, I'm not excited by conference software, I'm interested in the
shortest time to getting something spun up and get things moving and having
the most support.  The good thing is that LAS will test any software before
GUADEC and smooth things over for the next team.

Secondly, GNOME.Asia has already used OSEM for the past couple of
years.
wait, what?  This is plain wrong.

It was true at some point, the OSEM website has GNOME logo as someone using
their software.

So, can we make a decision? :)

sri

Cheers,