Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC 2017: Length and Format

OK, let's try and get it right this time! :)

I'm not particularly pushing the 2 core day option, but here's an experiment to show what it could look like:

Day 1

9.45-10.00 Opening
10.00-10.40 Talks ×2
10.45-11.25 Talks ×2
11.25-11.40 Coffee break
11.40-12.20 Keynote
12.20-14.00 Lunch
14.00-14.40 Talks ×2
14.45-15.25 Talks ×2
15.25-15.40 Coffee break
15.40-16.05 Short talks ×2
16.10-16.35 Short talks ×2
16.40-17.05 Short talks ×2
17.05-18.30 Intern's lightning talks
Day 2

10.00-10.40 Talks ×2
10.45-11.25 Talks ×2
11.25-11.40 Coffee break
11.40-12.20 Talks ×2
12.20-14.00 Lunch
14.00-14.25 Short talks ×2
14.30-14.55 Short talks ×2
15.00-15.45 Team reports
15.45-16.00 Group photo
16.00-17.00 AGM
17.00-18.30 Lightning talks and closing

This schedule has a total of 24 talks [1]. It includes the standard things you'd expect at GUADEC: two sets of lightning talks, team reports and the AGM. One difference is that it only has one keynote.

The number of talks over the past 3 GUADECs have been 34, 24 and 34, so the number of talks is less than average but not the fewest we've ever had.

The central finding of this experiment: you could do two days of talks, but it would require losing a keynote, slightly tight timings for breaks and fewer talks certainly than this year. These aren't necessarily bad things of course, and everything is open to adjustment: you could have another keynote and fewer talks, reduce the length of more talks to fit more in, etc etc

Allan

[1] That's 14 "long" talks of 40 minutes (including questions) and 10 "short" talks of 25 minutes (also including questions). These lengths are a bit shorter than has been standard at GUADEC (which I feel was always too long) but are roughly equivalent to this year's GUADEC which used both 25 minute and 45 minute talks.