Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC 2017: Length and Format

Apologies, I sent that message by accident - please ignore and I'll resend.

Allan

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:43 AM, Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not particularly pushing the 2 core day option, but here's an experiment to show what it could look like:

Day 1

9.45-10.00 Opening
10.00-10.40 Talks ×2
10.45-11.25 Talks ×2
11.25-11.40 Coffee break
11.40-12.20 Keynote
12.20-14.00 Lunch
14.00-14.40 Talks ×2
14.45-15.25 Talks ×2
15.25-15.40 Coffee break
15.40-16.00 Short talks ×2
16.05-16.25 Short talks ×2
16.30-16.55 Short talks ×2
17.00-18.30 Intern's lightning talks
Day 2
10.00-10.40 Talks ×2
10.45-11.25 Talks ×2
11.25-11.40 Coffee break
11.40-12.20 Keynote
12.20-14.00 Lunch
14.45-15.30 Team reports
15.30-16.00 Group photo
16.00-17.00 AGM
17.00-18.30 Lightning talks and closing

This gives 18 talks (12 long of 40 minutes and 6 short of 20 minutes), 2 keynotes, 1.40 for lunch and 15 minutes for coffee breaks. For reference, the number of talks over the past 3 GUADECs have been 34, 24 and 34. This year the talks were mostly 30 minutes long (20% were 45 minutes long). In the past all talks were 45 minutes in length.

Of course, the number of talks could be increased by:

1. Reducing the length of the long talks
2. Removing one or both keynotes.
3. Removing the final lighting talk session.

I'm personally against 3 but would be open to 1 and perhaps removing 1 keynote.

Day 1

9.45-10.00 Opening
10.00-10.30 Talks ×2
10.35-11.05 Talks ×2
11.10-11.40   Talks ×2
11.40-11.55 Coffee break
11.55-12.35 Keynote
12.35-14.00 Lunch
14.00-14.30 Talks ×2
14.35-15.05 Talks ×2
15.05-15.20 Coffee break
15.20-15.40 Short talks ×2
15.45-16.05 Short talks ×2
16.05-16.25 Short talks ×2
16.30-16.50 Short talks ×2
16.50-18.20 Intern's lightning talks
Day 2
10.00-10.30 Talks ×2
10.35-11.05 Talks ×2
11.10-11.40   Talks ×2
11.40-11.55 Coffee break
11.55-12.35 Talks ×2
12.35-14.00 Lunch
14.45-15.30 Team reports
15.30-16.00 Group photo
16.00-17.00 AGM
17.00-18.30 Lightning talks and closing

Without keynotes you'd get 22 or even 26 talks, if some of the were short ones.

Allan