Re: [guadec-list] Fwd: Keynote nominations for GUADEC

I *love* Bret Victor's presentations, and would love to get the chance to see one in person :-)

Cosimo

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Nuritzi Sanchez <n endlessm com> wrote:
Hi all, please see below for suggestions from a co-worker. Please let me know if you want help following up with any of them if they're interesting to you.

Best,
Nuritzi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Philip Chimento <philip endlessm com>
Date: Mon, May 16, 2016 at 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: Keynote nominations for GUADEC?
To: Nuritzi Sanchez <n endlessm com>

Hi Nuritzi,

Name: Bret Victor
Location: Bay Area (?)
Topics: Teaching algorithmic thinking, bridging the communications gap between computers and humans
Why would this be a good keynote speaker? In the spirit of aiming high - there's Bret Victor. He probably turns down more speaking engagements every day than most people get invited to in their lives, but he's right at the intersection of art and science (and education too.) The downside is that he's not a particular evangelist of open source and doesn't seem to publish much of his stuff in the open.
Does the speaker know they've been nominated? No
Contact information: worrydream.com

I have been watching several talks about governments releasing data into the open for people to do science on, and this was the one that particularly stuck out in my mind. However, I am sure there are many equally good speakers on this topic that I haven't heard about yet.

Hope this helps!
Philip

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless