Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC 2017: Length and Format

Hi,

a few comments.

I don't have a strong opinion on the two vs. three core days. My guess
is that two days could work for GUADEC as it has happened in the last
couple of years.

For the workshops my suggestion is to either market them more
aggressively to third parties. They will be poorly visited this year,
so my guess is that the experiment in the current form didn't quite
work.
Personally I placed them on the day before so that:
 * Attendees
wouldn't be blocked from BoFs
 * Newcomers have it as a way to be
introduced to the community
Remember that the workshops as we do them
this year are training sessions.

Structuring the BoF days a bit more might work and we could even try some stuff this year, if anyone is up to
organize it. There is a lecture hall very close by which the department may open for us.

It doesn't feel to me like it will make a large difference for long term community members though because the
sessions are too independent of each other.

With regard to length, it really doesn't make much of a difference from
an organizational point of view. Most tasks require a fixed effort
which is exactly the same whether it is only a single day or four days.

I can see that it saves money for rentals/accommodation, at the same
time if there are proper hacking sessions then the cost to fly people
in drops in relation to the work that will happen.

In general, I would suggest co-hosting or co-locating GUADEC with
another conference of a similar size (either Akademy or anything else
really). This would give both conferences a larger visibility and would
probably attract more attendees who wouldn't come to either event. And
a wider audience of attendees/speakers means new ideas coming into the
GNOME community.

My guess it is too late for this for GUADEC 2017, but personally I
would love to see a Desktop Summit again or co-locating with e.g.
GStreamer, systemd.conf, or anything else really.

Benjamin