Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC 2016: length and schedule

Alexandre Franke <alexandre franke gmail com> wrote:
Fifth, we might want to rethink how the hackfest days are organised,
either in terms of reducing the number of days, or expanding them to
include more than just BoFs.

You piqued my interest here. What do you think we could do on those
days in addition to BoFs?

I have a few issues with the BoF days: they aren't very newcomer
friendly, and if there isn't a BoF you're interested in, there's
little incentive to participate. I was thinking that it would be good
to name them "hack days" or something similar: advertise them as
general days for people to work, and make sure that there's a room
dedicated to ad hoc hacking.

And there are other things we could do to make these days more
inclusive and productive: maybe we could set something up to help
people organise around particular topics, like a noticeboard where you
can advertise your interests, or maybe we could have micro-BoFs, or
areas designated for different types of work, or maybe there could be
an area for lightning talks on recent or in-progress work (as a kind
of feedback seminar), or maybe there could be led workshops.

I mentioned it in this thread because a more elaborate set of hack
days (or whatever we call them) might have consequences for the
schedule on the core days. However, it might require a separate
discussion. It would be great to hear other ideas for how to develop
this aspect of the conference.

Allan