[guadec-list] Proposing keynote speaker: Brené Brown

Hi list,

<http://brenebrown.com/> is famous for her TED talks on vulnerability
and shame.

In our community, we sometimes find it difficult to express criticism in
a way that's not too subtle/washed out yet doesn't turn into unintended
stop energy.

We tried being nice, friendly, awesome. To some extent it worked. But
somehow no one seems to defend their own ideas for long enough anymore.
Instead of discussing ideas in a productive manner some of us decide
that's it's simply easier to carry out one's idea and learn to live with
the fallout afterwards.

Personally I think there's an issue of carrying *too much* about what
others *may* think, even though there is no guarantee for us to ever
really know what others think of our ideas unless we present them in a
useful way. There's also the issue of commitment. Should it be OK to
present new ideas even though we don't have the time ourselves to fully
commit to them?

Brown's talks could address these topics in a thought-provoking way (at
least for those who don't know her concepts yet), which is why she would
make for a great potential keynote speaker for our next GUADEC.

She's got a speaking section on her website, too:
<http://brenebrown.com/speaking/>.

ciao Michael