Re: [guadec-list] Training page

Hi Sense,

Sense Hofstede wrote:
> What I want from you is: what you want on the website and the
> information that's needed to put that on the website. We could then
> discuss -- on this list or on IRC -- how we're going to present the
> information. What I would suggest is to give your sessions the same
> treatment as we gave the pre-conference: lets put the information on
> the conference's overview page. We could then link to it from other
> locations using anchors if necessary.

I should gather logos to send you - for the GNOME Foundation and GUADEC
you already have everything you need. I've attached a Neary Consulting
logo which you can scale to required size.

I'd suggest that it will be really useful to have a separate page, with
all of the information related to the training, rather than have all of
the text below on the conference overview page.

> We don't have a page-submission-and-review system, unfortunately, so I
> think it would be best if you'd send me the content for the website.

Here goes:

Title:

GNOME Foundation (logo)

GUADEC 2010 GNOME developer training

July 26 - 27, 2010
The Hague, The Netherlands

GUADEC (logo)

Byline: Give your Linux developers wings (this is corny - any better
ideas welcome, prefereably not infringing Red Bull's trademarks ;))

Pitch:

The GNOME Developer Training sessions at GUADEC are designed to give
experienced software developers the tools that they need to get the most
out of developing free software in an open community.

Covering common Linux development tools, the GNOME and FreeDesktop.org
development platform, and the social dynamics of contributing to
community projects, this course will put extra tools in your developer's
toolbox.

This two day course include a hands-on practical session, and an
in-depth overview of the social aspect of community development,
including how to get your work upstream and how to influence the
direction of upstream projects.

Conference attendance includes a full professional pass for GUADEC, the
flagship annual conference of the GNOME project, giving you access to
three days of presentations, BOFs and tutorials, for a value of €250.

Pricing:

2 days training course + professional registration for GUADEC 2010
(value €250): €1500
Early bird price (for registrations before June 1st 2010): €1200

Includes delivery of printed training material related to the course,
and meals and refreshments during training.

To ensure the highest quality, space is strictly limited, we encourage
you to register early to guarantee availability.

You can register for the GUADEC training course at http://www.guadec.org

Syllabus:

The course is made up of four half-day modules, including:

Developer tools and development environments:

* Source control - git, svn, bzr
* Using autotools
* Standard GNOME build dependencies & their purposes (pkgconfig,
intltool, gtk-doc)
* Cross-compilation environments (Scratchbox, OpenEmbedded)
* Debugger (gdb, Nemiver)
* Valgrind (including memcheck, Massif, kcachegrind,
Callgrind)
* Other developer tools: sar, sysprof, bootchart

The GNOME platform:

* glib and GObject
* GTK+ and Clutter
* Using Glade and GtkBuilder
* DBus, DFeet, registering and calling DBus APIs
* GConf
* GStreamer
* Telepathy
* Language bindings - C++, Java, C#, Python, Vala

A Hands-on Practical Workshop:

* Set up a GNOME development environment
* Write a complete GNOME application in Python
* Integrate with the GNOME desktop

Community development

* Community communication forums (mailing lists, forums, IRC, Bugzilla,
source control)
* Effective community participation, community social norms
* Project governance - how things get done
* Getting changes upstream
* Getting to maintainer - how to make friends and influence people
* Building a vibrant community

Training run by Neary Consulting (logo) on behalf of the GNOME Foundation

> The overview page in its current from can be found at
> <http://guadec.org/index.php/guadec/2010/schedConf/overview>. As you
> can see we've called your slot 'Training'. A more descriptive name
> would be better, do you have any suggestions?

Developer training perhaps?

Cheers,
Dave.

--