Re: [guadec-list] Terms and conditions for registration

Hi again,

Koen Martens wrote:
> The below terms & conditions will be put on the guadec registration
> site. These have been written by a Dutch lawyer. The registration
> site is due to go up today (if we can get the DNS change worked out
> that is).

Concerning the terms & conditions... I think this may be the first time
we will have had some. So bear in mind that my feedback comes with zero
experience.

"The GUADEC 2010 festival tickets" makes it sound like a music festival.
I prefer "GUADEC 2010 registration is subject to the following terms and
conditions".

Concerning the training, we have an agreement that the training event
can be cancelled if we have insufficient demand; this should be included
in the terms & conditions. In the case of cancellation of the training
event, training fees will be refunded.

Including "organisation is not liable for event cancellation" is likely
to make a number of people nervous...

Again, this insistence on the ticket ("The purchaser is responsible for
any loss, theft or damage to the ticket.") doesn't feel appropriate for
a conference. It's much better to use the person's identity as their
"ticket".

For comparison, here is OSCON's registration page:
https://en.oreilly.com/oscon2010/public/register

including human-readable cancellation policy:
> Cancellation and Substitution Policy
>
> If you must cancel for any reason you must notify us in writing by
> June 21, 2010, for a refund less a $100 processing fee. Cancellations
> received after June 21, 2010 are non-refundable. You may transfer
> your registration to another person by July 6, 2010 by providing
> authorization to us at confreg oreilly com  Confirmed and paid
> attendees who do not attend or who cancel after the deadline are
> liable for the entire fee. In the unlikely event of cancellation of
> the conference, the liability of O'Reilly Media, Inc. is limited to
> the return of paid registration fees.
>
> For questions about registration or assistance with any registration
> problems, please contact us at confreg oreilly com

And they manage a registration page with no terms & conditions, and no
"we are not liable for cancellation" bit.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary