Re: [guadec-list] Sponsorship letter

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 15:02 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> On 6/29/07, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 13:56 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > (sorry if someone gets duplicates of this)
> > >
> > > Fighting the consulates, I realized that it would be a good idea to
> > > have a letter from the foundation where it's acknowledged that I'm
> > > being sponsored to attende GUADEC and GUADEC-ES. You know, to make
> > > things "look official".
> >
> > I prefer to have these things handled by GUADEC organizers, not the
> > Board.  The standard GUADEC invitation letter looks quite official to
> > me, and has got me (and others) visas already.
> >
> > What kind of problems are you having with the consulate?
> >
> Yep I know, it's quite good. What I mean with this one is to show that
> the top-level organization (the foundation) knows about all this and
> to explain that my trip is both to Spain and UK.
> Right now I have the standard UK invitation letter (guadec letter) and
> that's fine, but it only mentions my trip to UK, it doesn't detail
> that I'm dropping by Spain a few days.

Then please get a letter from the GUADEC-ES organizers.  A letter from a
US foundation about your trip to two conferences in Europe doesn't look
that useful to me.

> It's just to summarize things. Under the asumption that if it doesn't
> harm then it clarifies things for the embassy.

I'm personally quite against the "doesn't harm" argument when a lot of
overhead is involved.  Instead, I suggest you go apply really quick with
whatever letters you have so far.

Cheers,

behdad

--