Re: [guadec-list] Rooms Schedule: we need more volunteers

----- "Murray Cumming" <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 12:49 -0400, Sara Khalatbari wrote:
> > Hi there
> >

> >         > If you volunteer for a room, you will have to be there
> for
> >         the whole
> >         > morning or afternoon.
> >
> >         Except if there's no talk scheduled? Or do we need to be
> there
> >         beforehand to set anything up?
> >
> > Yes, I don't think you should be in the room when there is no talk.
>
> > I guess beforehand arrangements and setting would take mostly 5-10
> > minutes in general
>
> Unfortunately, this is optimistic, given the problems we have getting
> our laptops to work with the projectors, or even figuring out how to
> turn projectors on in unfamiliar rooms.
>
> I've lost the first 20 minutes of all of the talks I've ever done at
> GUADEC.

Good point but depends on what type of presentation - if it's just a standard slide deck in OOo or S5  or similar then we have presentation laptops (IBM t42's that output 1024x768 60) that have been tested with 2 of the 3 projectors - the 3rd being the large rear projection beast for the big stage. And I realise I'm tempting fate here since getting projectors to work is as much luck and circumstance than skill, with any hardware and any OS.

If a presenter needs to use their own laptop, or some other hardware to do a demo, then the setup time is unquantifiable.

Paul