Re: [guadec-list] Summer of Code folks

On 24/05/06, Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
Hi,

Daniel Glassey wrote:
> Hi,
> Now that the summer of code projects have been accepted it would be
> good to have as many as possible of the students involved at GUADEC.
> At the very least it would be good to email them and invite them.
> Would there be money left to help sponsor some of them to come?

My first gut reaction is "we're not made of money - $20K to ship 20
students from the US on shortish notice probably isn't worth it".

They won't necesarily just be from the US, it just depends where they are from.

I'm all for inviting the students, and some of them (Danilo, Matthew,
Raphael) will already be coming, but I just have this gut feeling that
we could be spending that much money better elsewhere.

Given that these folks are getting $500 up front from google it would
be reasonable for them to use part of that to get to GUADEC. Maybe
partial travel sponsorship or only accommodation sponsorship would be
better?

On 24/05/06, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:

El dc 24 de 05 del 2006 a les 14:35 +0100, en/na Daniel Glassey va
escriure:

> Would there be money left to help sponsor some of them to come?

But they should be coding at home instead of partying at the beach!!!!

Right, seriously.  :)

We have closed the sponsorship requests because we have invested so much
money on this already, and it's time to move forward. However, your
suggestion makes sense and thanks to last events in the budget (a couple
of confirmed sponsors + a couple of costs expected big finally smaller)
there might be some resources, yes.

Seeing the list I can tell some are already coming. Many seem to be
based in Europe (cheaper costs), some could be perfectly somewhere in
America (expensive flights)... I don't feel like contacting all of them
and awake expectations just like that without knowing if we can cover
all the requests.

Agreed.

Let's do the following.

Sponsoring Summer of Code developers

The sponsorship requests period is closed but... we might make an
exception with you if your name is listed at
http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2006 and the mentor or key people of
your GNOME project are attending GUADEC 2006. Go to
http://guadec.org/GUADEC2006/registration/sponsorship and follow the
steps described there. Provide as much details as possible, including
quotes of transport prices. Provide also the names of the developers of
your project, it will help strongly if they are already registered to
the conference. We can't promise the acceptance of your request but we
will do our best to make it fit in the GUADEC 2006 budget."

If you agree, I'll publish that in guadec.org and Planet.

That sounds good to me. It would be best for Behdad and Vincent to
approve it though since it looks like they are admining the gnome side
of SoC.

Regardsm
Daniel