[guadec-list] [HELP] guadec.org improvement

The website looks good and it's working fine in brad terms. I believe
GUADEC 2006 is doing so well by now mostly because of the website. But
there are many little thing that need fixes, improvements, evolution and
updates.

- We have content related tasks: misspelygns  ;) , improvements in the
navigation... good English and common sense needing, plus a couple of
some very basic Drupal tips (i.e. how to add/remove an item from a menu,
how to create a new block...). There are no specific bugs, someone needs
to see for herself, fix the small things and suggest solutions for the
rest. Also read comments like
http://guadec.org/GUADEC2006/schedule#comment-172 , think the easy
solution behind most user requests and apply it.

- We have some typical webmaster tasks that require just a bit of XHTML,
CSS, PHP or MySQL, no big deal really (if you have the skills: I
haven't). Most of these issues are in Bugzilla -
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=website&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&component=guadec.org - and we try to have there any new problem someone detects.

All of them are little tasks involving no more than 1-2h each, but the
current web team seems to be completely overwhelmed. John Hwang aka
tavon did a wonderful work with http://guadec.org but then suddenly
vanished, and I hope nothing bad has happened to him (he won the web
theme prize, he has free travel from the US and accommodation &
registration covered as well, he is not answering my emails asking for
his flight details etc...)

DEPENDENCIES

- You need permissions, depending on the tasks. Those that are web based
can be provided by Quim or Alberto (aka Devin). Some would need ssh
access to the GNOME servers but we can have a workaround: Devin would
give you the code & data you need and you work locally on the bug, then
Devin applies patch/fix.

LINKED TASKS

If you want more, there is more.

- We need to prepare the website to be useful during the conference
days. We also need to think of guadec.org on July 1st and onwards: it is
so typical to find dead websites of events, left just like a ghost town
when the enemy troops are about to invade you. Someone needs to think
about this, improvisation is great but it has intrinsical risks and
during the event we won't be able to react quickly (or yes, if you have
thought about an emergency plan).

- guadec.org is a website that will survive GUADEC 2006: we won't build
a new one for GUADEC 2007. In fact, it has been design to incorporate
other GNOME events just changing some little bits after GUADEC 2006 is
finished. In fact it is a seed test to see how good Drupal can work as a
CMS for the www.gnome.org revamp. We need web developers and guadec.org
is a very tangible and useful way to start contributing.