Re: [guadec-list] Football: GNOME - Rest of the World

Hi,

Bastien Nocera wrote:
About the technical aspects, I think it's easier/better/funnier to go
for a futsal [1] match instead of an official 11 players football game.
Easier to complete a team with players in the bench, easier to find a
location, easier to get the tier more full than empty... I guess also
easier for the regular hackers to finish the game before exhaustion.

I think it would be a better idea to know to which types of pitches we
can get access to (ie. if there's only 7-a-side astroturf available,
it's not wise to make arrangments for 11-a-side matches). After that we
can be sure of:
- type of kit (astroturf, or studs)
- indoors/outdoors
- how far from the conference
- how many people/which positions
etc.

Given that we're in a university, it's likely there are sports facilities (both indoor and outdoor) nearby - we should check with the university if we can reserve a pitch for a couple of hours.

If we're limited to 5 or 7 a side, we should think about having 3 or 4 teams and doing some kind of round robin tournament, depending on the response we get, of course.

Better not ;)

The group stages finish the 23rd, and the second round matches start at 17:00 or 21:00 - so playing during the day seems like a plan. 17:00 on Sunday is WB:RA - Eng/Swe vs Ger/Pol/Ecu

No-one wants to watch England/Germany, do they?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary