Re: [guadec-list] Football: GNOME - Rest of the World

Hey Quim,

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 10:14 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:
> GUADEC 2006 is being held in Futbolandia during the FIFA World Cup, so
> expect to have football in the background, as any other serious activity
> has in this country.  ;)
>
> The skeleton schedule refers to a football match GNOME-KDE, and as far I
> remember Dave and Rodrigo already offered themselves to wear the GNOME
> t-shirt.
>
> Dave had this great idea of having instead a GNOME - Rest of the World
> match, since we are going to invite not only KDE developers but also
> people from Xfce, X, freedesktop.org and any other free desktop
> interested to come and join us.

Dave's asked me whether I wanted to captain the GNOME team, and I would
be honoured with such a responsibility.

I'm not 100% sure as to whether I'm going to make it to GUADEC, but I
can post and do some recruitment online, and organise for the teams, and
kit (we had some custom jerseys done for a RH football event a couple of
years ago).

> We need a local organizer (I'll forward this to the guadec-local list),
> GNOME players and a captain. Once we have agreed the basics of the game
> we will contact "the visitors" to help them build a competitive team.
>
> About the technical aspects, I think it's easier/better/funnier to go
> for a futsal [1] match instead of an official 11 players football game.
> Easier to complete a team with players in the bench, easier to find a
> location, easier to get the tier more full than empty... I guess also
> easier for the regular hackers to finish the game before exhaustion.

I think it would be a better idea to know to which types of pitches we
can get access to (ie. if there's only 7-a-side astroturf available,
it's not wise to make arrangments for 11-a-side matches). After that we
can be sure of:
- type of kit (astroturf, or studs)
- indoors/outdoors
- how far from the conference
- how many people/which positions
etc.

> We need a location with sound system, official T-shirts (yes, with your
> name and logo in it), real referrers, a raffle in the break, a big
> trophy for the winner and a small trophy for the... finalist. None of
> these are difficult to get in Futbolandia as fas as we have an organizer
> and a small budget.

Pitch rental should probably be around ~60 euros for 2 hours, including
locker rooms, if the place is any decent, so it shouldn't be too
complicated to arrange.

> Of course we also need to find the appropriate moment, not overlapping
> with any World Cup football match.  :)

Better not ;)

Cheers

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhoea"