Re: [guadec-list] Press Release GUADEC 2006

Hi Thomas,

El dt 13 de 06 del 2006 a les 22:17 +0200, en/na Thomas Keup va
escriure:
> Hi Quim, hi Javier,
> hello all:
>
> Here is my first draft for a press release to GUADEC 2006. Please give your respond directly to Quim or Javier, so they can finish the release distribute them to spanish and international/u.s. media.
>
> Best regards from Berlin, Germany
>
> Thomas
>
> ---snap---
>
> GUADEC 2006
> Press Release
> 1st Draft
>

> Be part of GNOME 3.0 – The GUADEC 2006

"Be part of GNOME" is better, according to previous discussion (the
archives are not working now).

> 500 Developers at GNOME Conference in Catalonia, Spain

Please add "expected".  :)  There are 334 registered today.

> xx of June 2006
>
> The 7th GUADEC will be held from 24th to 30th of June at the Campus of Mediterranean University in Vilanova, Catalonia/Spain.

Better say only Vilanova, since "Campus de la Mediterrània" is a virtual
concept and the actual buildings used are three with no common name: UPC
(the university), Museu del Ferrocarril and Museu Víctor Balaguer.

>  In co-operation with the Ministry of Universities, Research and Information Society of the Catalan government

"with the Telecommunications and Information Society office of the
Catalan Government" (long story)

>  the week will be one of the leading developers conferences around Free and Open Source software this year.
>
> The official program will be split into three phases: The Approach Weekend (24th & 25th), GUADEC Core (26th to 28th) and After Hours (29th and 30th). In addition, the Core days will have three simultaneous tracks, called Showcase, Topaz (GNOME 3.0) and Tangle.
>
> GUADEC – One week of future

Call me kitsch, but I like this!  :)

> Opening keynote will be presented by Jeff Waugh. The international leading developer is working on Ubuntu business and community development for Canonical. Waugh is an active member of the FOSS community, holding positions such as director of the GNOME Foundation Board ('03-'05), president of the Sydney Linux User's Group ('02-'04), and member of the linux.conf.au 2001 organizing team.
>
> Following keynotes at GUADEC 2006 concering about „Creating Passionate Users“, „Freedom: Reality and Illusion“, „GNOME – How much faster?“, „Big GNOME Deployments: the GnuLinEx and Guadalinex Use Cases“ and „ Free Software at Sun Microsystems“.

Nothing personal, but investing more space introducing Jeff (usual GNOME
player) than 6 keynoters we are inviting to GUADEC looks like a missed
opportunity.

I've been putting the OLPC keynote in first place when talking/writing
to journalists. There is a way to tell journalists that MIT, the UN and
several developing countries are involved, and (gurus forgive me) there
must be also a way to tell them that even when the project is lead by
Nicholas Negroponte, Jim Gettys knows perfectly what is going on and has
perhaps more things to explain in a conference like this. I wish we
could say that Gettys (and Blizzard from RedHat) are going to bring the
first prototype landing in Europe of this laptop but this is not
confirmed and I'm unsure about the level of publicity Gettys & co want
to have about this fact.

The rest looks good.

I'm happy being contact for press, yes. I will redirect if appropriate.
My mobile phone: +34 675 337 315

We need a link to the brand new http://guadec.org/Guadec2006/pressRoom
(thanks Javier!)

--