[guadec-list] [Fwd: Re: IMPORTANT: outstanding issues]

Apparently mail works again and new messages reach the lists, although
the queue of emails is not moving (now). I sent this almost two days
ago, contains some issues that were urgent then, now they are even more
urgent. Sorry if you receive it twice now.

Specially the registration process.
--- Begin Message ---
"""Funny""" that I forget

7. GUADEC.ORG

while we miss our header image and several sponsors logos in the
homepage due to a technical-human problem.

We want the website work, we want the homepage update, we want this and
we want that. We have been so little hands in the last weeks/months
(since tavon vanished, basically). Hopefully this won't be a problem
during the conference days seems most sysadmins will be at reach in
Vilanova, if needed. But anyway, we need to be always concerned about
the website responding to our needs during these days.

El dt 13 de 06 del 2006 a les 01:37 +0200, en/na Quim Gil va escriure:
> Hi there, here is a report on how (I think) things are going.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi there, here is a report on how (I think) things are going.

In 10 days GUADEC 2006 starts. We have done a lot of work and everything
seems to be almost on track in order to have a great conference.
However, there are some outstanding issues. Let's rank them starting
with the most worrisome, and shout loud if there is something missing.

1. REGISTRATION
We still don't know how do we go from the database to the printed
accreditations delivered to participants, nor it's clear who is in
charge. Ludovic has thrown some suggestions in guadec-list and
guadec-local but nobody followed up. Albert/Devin (the database creator)
says has some free time.

As a side effect, this is linked with the certificates of participation
that Juanjo is preparing.

2. VIDEO COVERAGE
Andy Wingo and Zeeshan Ali from Fluendo are apparently in charge, the
think has been discussed in guadec-local and the planning seems to be
ok. But there are still many question marks, as far as I know.

3. ENTRANCE HALL
We have there a plan for stands, media zone, cibercafè, poster
presentations, power cords and perhaps a speakers corner (winning points
to be dropped). Carlos Fenollosa, Maria Soler, HP, Izabel Cerqueira...
have theoretically everything to make it happen, but the plans are still
vague 10 days before starting the conference, and this space is crucial.

4. PRINTED MATERIALS
The printed program hasn't reached destination yet and Behnam is on it.
The banners and signaling were finished and sent today by Andreas. I'll
ask Andreas to start tomorrow with the accreditation design (it will be
a folded paper with your name + all basic info including the schedule)
and the identification of speakers to be put on the tables. The bags,
t-shirts and lanyards are in production now. All these processes might
contain still many surprises.

5. PAYMENTS, FINANCE, ACCOUNTING
We have money and Chema is doing great at controlling everything related
with money. However, a lot of expenditure needs to be done from now
until the end of the conference, and it won't be simple.

6. ON-SITE TROUBLES
In fact this is a big outstanding issue, probably the biggest in terms
of size, but I bet it gets only a 6th position because the local team
and the associated global volunteers seem to be fit, mentally prepared
and excited about the beginning of the works. Apart of the control of
the strict GUADEC locations & sessions we have here the GNOME Village,
the meals, the mounting of banners and posters... everything with
potential for many covered nightmares. Oh, we need to get ready 500 bags
with all the inserts inside.

My plan is (from 6 to 1):

6. ON-SITE TROUBLES
This week I need to settle all the details with Vilanova Park, close the
list of people we are sponsoring there and make sure all the bungalows
booked through us are ok. On Monday 19th I land in Vilanova and I bet
this macro-point 6 will be one of my main tasks.

5. PAYMENTS, FINANCE, ACCOUNTING
I wish we can sort almost everything out between Chema and I. I
know/decide what needs to be paid to whom and Chema pays and
knows/decides how to do this legally and accounted. If our cash-flow
forecasts are good we won't need USD coming from the GNOME Foundation
but we'll keep an eye to this possibility by now.

4. PRINTED MATERIALS
They almost finished me, and they probably will suck more time and
energies until everything is ready. I'll keep being the contact with the
several producers and I'll keep asking for help if something unexpected
happens.

3. ENTRANCE HALL
This is my next priority. Although the task is in good hands, it needs a
push and then we will have thousand small details to solve.

2. VIDEO COVERAGE
I don't think I'm needed here and the task is in the right hands.

1. REGISTRATION
I prefer not to be needed here, otherwise I don't think I will have
time/brain to be in charge of the rest of things I'm assuming. I just
have a couple of ideas I will write now in the thread and I can help on
minor things. Someone needs to lead this crucial task.