Re: [guadec-list] Logo contest result: tie (what to do now?)

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 15:42 +0330, Behnam Esfahbod wrote:
> Calum Benson wrote:
> >
> > Count how many times each logo includes the word "GUADEC"?  Lock the
> > artists in a room and have a pillow fight to the death? :)
>
> It really cost a lot! :p
>

> > One option might be to consider the logos on their technical merits
> > (someone like tigert or jimmac might have to help out here)... i.e.
> > whether one would be better than the other for reproduction in black-
> > and-white, on photocopies, on posters, on t-shirts (does having a  blue
> > background limit us to doing blue t-shirts every year?) etc.
> >

> IMO it's not a good approach, because these are just logos, and won't
> set the coloring theme.  I tested all of my logos in many coloring
> themes. You can find theme here:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwnj/sets/72057594057113693/

Ok then, I guess one question we might want to answer before choosing a
winner is whether we want the colour of the logo to be part of the
GUADEC "brand" at all, or just the shape.  Most commercial logos rely on
both (and provide guidelines about how to use monochrome versions etc.),
because it makes them more instantly recognisable.

> Also tavon has a logo with different background colors on his theme:
> http://beta.guadec.org/node/128

Right, and (IMHO) that version doesn't look nearly as good-- so if I
knew we'd have to use it like that in some circumstances, I'd be less
inclined to choose it as the winner.

It's cool to see that both the winning artists have considered this,
though.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group