[guadec-list] Registration process

Luke Stroven (aka stro) has installed the eCommerce meta-module in
http://guadectest.ourproject.org/ . It owuld be great that by simply
activating the module we could start receiving donations and payments in
the GNOME Foundation account but it's not like this (at least we would
need to enter the account number)  ;)

We have two ongoing discussions about the registation process and we are
in a position to start trying practical solutions:

ONE STEP GUADEC REGISTRATION

- Now we know we wouldn't be the first ones expanding the Drupal
registration in order to become a one step registration&payment. See
http://drupal.org/node/40029 and https://boltsoflightning.com/user/register

- I think this is a reason to definitely abandon the idea of creating a
form appart and go to the direction of hacking the Drupal registration form.

- In the meantime we can see how good/bad the eCommerce module would
handle this registration if we tune it properly.

- At the very end I think we are being perhaps too radical on this "one
step" payment process. Most web services (all the popular ones)
involving payments have a multiple step process and it seems not to harm
user when it is a clear and consistant process:

1. Identify yourself (Name and email at least - which is a Drupal
registration)

2. Choose your purchase (type of GUADEC participant you are, could be
handled by the eCommerce module, perhaps not so difficult to integrate in 1.

3. Pay (credit card data or any other gateway to payment system on
secure server, etc - we need to see what part of this is handled by the
eCommerce module, and see what platforms/banks do we choose to handle th
transaction).

PAYMENT PLATFORMS

In a next email.

See stro's attached email for more information about the eCommerce module.

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org
--- Begin Message ---

It added a boat load of new individual modules. I have not enabled any
of them. I figure you would want to go through them and enable the ones
that are needed.

-stro

P.S. Here is a list of the modules the ecommerce package added:

address		Enable address books for users.
auction		Create auction products. Dependency: product.module
authorize_net	Process payments using authorize.net.
cart		Ecommerce shopping cart.
ccard		ccard payment processing.
cod		Process payments using cash on delivery.
donate		Create donation products using the ecommerce package.
ecivicrm	Automatically syncronize data between Drupal's ecommerce module
and CiviCRM.
ecommailer	Integrates ecommerce and massmailer. (requires both)
exact		Process payments using E-xact.
file		Creates a file product. Dependency: product.module
generic		Creates a generic product. Dependency: product.module
hosting		Creates a hosting packagee. Dependency: product.module
linkpoint_api	Process payments using Linkpoint.com.
parcel		Create packages of ecommerce items. Dependency: product.module
payment		A payment API for ecommerce.
paypal		Process payments using paypal.
paypalpro	Process payments using the PayPal Pro API.
product		Creates products for ecommerce.
service		Create service products using the ecommerce package.
shipping	Enable a shipping module for ecommerce.
store		Configuration module for ecommerce.
stores		Enables users to have their own storefront.
tangible	Creates a tangible product. Dependency: product.module
tax		Enable a tax API for ecommerce.