Re: [guadec-list] IMPORTANT: GUADEC change of dates and location

Quim Gil wrote:
> Yesterday the GNOME Foundation board approved the guadec-planning
> proposal of changing dates and location of GUADEC7. The plan of going
> together with the IGC was more difficult as expected and we have found
> an alternative by mutual agreement.
>
> GUADEC7 will be held in the CampusMed from Vilanova i la Geltrú and the
> dates move to the end of June with the aim of being more suitable to
> students and other participants conditioned by the school/university
> calendar.
>
> The new planned dates are:
>
> - Sat 24/jun and Sun 25/jun: Local Workshops, GUADEC-ES and
GUADEC warmup
> - Mon 26/jun to Wed 28/jun GUADEC core
> - possibility of other related events until Sun 2/jul if needed
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience this change might has caused.

I think it's going to be a BIG inconvenience for lots of people, since
many people were hoping to go to Barcelona to see the city and spend some
time with other GNOME people seeing the city.

Isn't there any other possibility to stay in Barcelona?
Please, Could you do some more research? I'll help if I can.

Many people won't have any problem to pay more to stay in Barcelona
if they already have to fly there.

As an example, I've changed my mind from 100% sure to go to GUADEC7 to
"I'll have to think twice if I'm going".

> Here is some information about Vilanova and the CampusMed. Please post
> your questions. Any feedback from people knowing the city and the
> location is very much appreciated. We hope you like the change and we
> expect this to be a bright and shiny GUADEC.
>

> ABOUT VILANOVA
>
> City of about 50.000 inhabitants in the coast, 40km south of Barcelona,
> 20km from the Barcelona Airport, 50km from the Reus airport (cheap
> flights Ryanair). Surprisingly enough, not a 100%
tourist village (like
> its neighbours Sitges and Calafell). Still looking (mostly) like a
> traditional village in the coast, with fishing harbour, agriculture and
> a century old engineering university. Has enough accommodation between
> hotels, hostels and campings, and late runners will find something
> affordable for sure in Sitges or Calafell, just one train stop away.
>
> More
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilanova_i_la_Geltr%C3%BA
> http://www.vilanovaturisme.net/en/html/intro.htm
> http://www.vilanova.org/ciutat/angles/
> http://www.vilanovageltru.com/ingles.htm (very nice layout)
>

> ABOUT CAMPUSMED
>
> The Campus de la Mediterrània is a joint project of the Universitat
> Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), the local council and the Mediterranean
> European Institute. The primary goal of this small university campus is
> the research and studies related to Sciences of the Sea (am I
> translating this correctly?). The centerpoint of this campus is the
> Engineering School of the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya -
> http://www.epsevg.upc.edu/internacional/principi_cap_foreign.htm
>
> They also promote and host any kind of technical or academic event. The
> last
edition of the Free Software conference of the UPC (the biggest
> FS event of Catalonia) was hosted by the CampusMed. Novell, Sun and
> Ubuntu were in the list of sponsors and supporters -
> http://jornadespl.upc.es/ . This year they have also hosted a conference
> about Digital Media - http://www.mitjansdigitals.org/ - including a
> Podcast Night. The UPC organises a postgraduate course on Free Software,
> so they have a big interest hosting the GUADEC.
>
> The facilities of this (small) campus will be enforced by two neighbour
> buildings, the (pretty impressive) Museu Víctor Balaguer and
the Museu
> del Ferrocarril.
>
> More when they send plans and pictures. In the meantime:
>
> Museu Víctor Balaguer
> http://www.diba.es/museuslocals/webmuseus/39.html
> http://www.victorbalaguer-bmb.org/edif.htm
> http://www.victorbalaguer-bmb.org/visita.htm
> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/9346/balaguer.htm
>
> Museu del Ferrocarril
> http://www.ffe.es/vilanova/panoramic_photos.htm
>
> --
> Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org

Prueba el Nuevo Correo Terra; Seguro, R�pido, Fiable.