Re: Technological/scientific sightseeing suggestions?

Hi Tor and all the others,

Tor Lillqvist schrieb am 27. April 2005:

> I arrive in Stuttgart already on the 27th, in the morning, and intend
> to spend at least one day doing general touristy things.

Good idea ;)

> I'm wondering
> whether there are any interesting sites in Stuttgart or vicinity
> related to the history of science and technology?

Science... more or less; maybe the University in Vaihingen with
their computer museum:
http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ifi/cs/cm.html

Unfortunately, it has opened only at tuesday afternoon. But if there
are more people (five?) I believe we can arrange a special opening
:-) I know the people who are managing the museum are happy about
visitors, especially if they want to see the pdp-8.

> Places where
> prominent old natural philosophers worked? Civil engineering
> landmarks? Old mines? Anything of special interest to a railfan? I

For railfans: http://www.utecht.de/bahn/Denkmal/70000.htm  - there
is a train museum in Feuerbach.

> Which is more interesting for a daytrip, Esslingen (where the GUADEC
> tour goes) or Tübingen?

Both cities don't last for a _daytrip_ I'd say; since you can go
through Esslingen and Tuebingen within three hours more or less. In
Tuebingen you have the old city and the Neckar, in Esslingen you
have a beautiful Castle on top of the city. if you go early, you
should start with Esslingen and take Tuebingen in the Afternoon.

>  Or even Heidelberg (which is only 40 min by train from Stuttgart)?

Heidelberg is nice for a daytrip I'd guess. It is larger than
Esslingen or Tuebingen and has more tourist points.

Ciao, Hanno
--
|  Hanno Wagner  | Member of the HTML Writers Guild  | Rince IRC      |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung meiner Email-Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |