Re: New resources for accomodation in Seville! (follow-up)

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 11:27, Daniel Pisano wrote:
> CORRECTION!
>
> According to what I have recently learned, the information given by me
> about the Bib Rambla apartments being very near the Gł conference center
> is _wrong_! There has been a gross misunderstanding and great confusion
> on where this Escuela de Ingeneros actually is (I still have no
> address), but it appears now to be in the western part of Seville, not
> in the northeastern part (which would be near the airport and near Bib
> Rambla and the McDonald's and the hypermarket)!

just so that everybody knows, Sevilla is not a very big city, so things
are not too far away. Also, taxis are quite cheap (I've been told it's
+/- half price than in Madrid, whose prices, most of you, foreign
people, will find really low), so if you travel with 3 more people
around Sevilla, it may be even cheaper to get a taxi for 4 people than
going by bus.

> Also, it appears that Seth Nickell, bit and others (whom I cannot recall
> right away) are sitting at home, assuming not to be able to come over
> due to lack of funds since sponsorship took so long to organise and
> still is insecure. Basically, most of us can only book knowing that they
> will get a refund, but once they do know now, with the conference being
> less than _four_ weeks ahead, the prices for both lodging and tickets
> will be considerably higher. This is like (as the Germans say) an
> opening scissor (whose blades open out at double speed from each other).

I must say that I've got a long record of buying plane tickets the day
before I'm flying, and in those situations, I've been most of the time
able to buy cheaper tickets than when bought in more advance. I had even
once a super-cheap ticket to London on the 31st July, which is
super-high season in Spain.

So, I'm not suggesting everybody to do this, but for people waiting for
funds, please don't give up until GUADEC is really finished :-)

cheers