Re: GU4DEC - Let's start the discussion now.

There are a couple of points I want to raise for GU4DEC...

o with the release of Gnome 2, and the commercial adoption of Gnome, we
need to prepare good tutorials.  These can both be a source of income
for the individuals who prepare them, for Gnome itself, and whomever runs
GU4DEC.  Charging say, $500 for a commercial tutorial per person is not
unusualfor an all day tutorial, and companies write it off as educational
expenses to keep their employee's current.  We can offer scholarships
to make sure that we help out various members in the development community
itself.  This is important for "spreading the word", and next year is
the right time to start this effort.

o To attract more work from Universities and many companies, it would
be very good for GU4DEC to start making proceedings of the conference,
and a bit more formality on (some) of the program committee part of
the presentations.  Very often people cannot come unless they have
a paper to give, and this can be good incentive for often very good people
to attend.  There may be people like Tim O'Reilly who can act as publisher
for such proceedings (he published the X conference proceedings for years).
This releaves many of the logistical hassles of such production.

And yes, more warning is really needed...
				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory