[Gtranslator-devel] Dir mess (testing Semerkent capabilities) and some thoughts...

Hmm, I just added some sluggish testing function calls for Semerkent into the gtranslator source in CVS (into the "main.c" file, it's marked thereover with "FIXME" to make them easier to find) and it will now leave you 3 test files in the dir where you called gtranslator:
-rw-r--r-- 268 Test_OpenTag.otf
-rw-r--r-- 511 Test_TMX.xml
-rw-r--r-- 264 Test_UMTF.xml
These are more enhanced learn buffer/translation memory formats which can be handled somehow by the Semerkent sources: they're now present to give you the chance of looking at them :-) And of course evaluating them by using these files within another tools to examine whether they're syntactically correct.

I want to change some points in the learn buffer routiens generally and one would be to integrate the whole Semerkent thing into it and to make the learn buffers seperate files by language or by user decision - this would make the whole thing much more complex but easier to extend (with sep. files from external sources e.g.) later on... what about this idea?!

Besides this I want to generally crap the GUI up to get it in sync with the HIG, what would mean to change the menus a bit but I'm hesitating as it would make things not easier to find, but would blow current menu structures a bit up :-/

What I want to do is:
  • Move the Preferences under "_Edit"
  • Create a new main menu "_View" where the current Colorschemes list would be moved to and:
  • A new toggle item "_Show comment pane" or similar in this _View-menu.
  • Rename the "_Message" menu to "_Go"
  • Move the Toggling points of "Mess_age status" to the "_Edit" menu (would create a new submenu "Message status")
This would be thr HIG-points, another point for me is, to decide what should go into the main view: currently we've got 2 views on the comments, the comment pane and the "Comment" column in the table. I would like to remove the "Comment", "Line" and "Number" columns from the table as this information is already printer in the status bar and/or in the comment pane.

I would not find it intuitive to show the same information twice in the main window - what do you think about all this?!

And yes, there are sooo many code changes necessary to get it workind, editable, not crashing etc. but these points just came to my mind.