Re: Problem building mm-common on MSYS2

On 2021-04-15 02:24, Oliver Niebuhr wrote:
On 14/04/2021 22:55, Oliver Niebuhr wrote:
[cut for readability]

I do not know if this is the Solution but I added 'sys.executable' and the Error Message went away:

result = subprocess.run([sys.executable, 'aclocal', '--print-ac-dir'],
                          stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.DEVNULL,
                          universal_newlines=True)

I have no Idea if this has any other Impact. I was just following an Example from Digital-Ocean after a Web search about Python and Parameters.

As no additional Files are getting installed (compared to when running into that Error), I assume the Installation itself was fine before already.

BTW: Do I need a mm-common Package for every bitness or can I use the x86_64 Package for x86 builds?

Thanks again for your time!

You need mm-common only if you will build any of the mm packages (sigc++, glibmm, gtkmm, etc.) with maintainer-mode=true. That's necessary if you build from the git repository. If you build from tarballs with maintainer-mode=false, mm-common is not necessary.

If Python's subprocess.run() can't be trusted in MSYS2, or in Windows in general, it's not a fatal bug when mm-common is built or installed. extra-install-cmd.py is not called, if Meson does not find aclocal. The problem for you is that Meson finds aclocal, but subprocess.run() in the Python script does not. But if there is a general problem with subprocess.run() in MSYS2, you may have trouble elsewhere when you build mm modules. subprocess.run() is used in several Python scripts. Perhaps you can avoid all the other subprocess.run() if you build from tarballs with maintainer-mode=false and build-documentation=false (default when building from tarballs).