Re: Failure to add radio buttons to popup menu.

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 08:41:58 +0100
Kjell Ahlstedt <kjellahlstedt gmail com> wrote:

I don't know if it works with a file that glade has written.

That sounds like you don't support glade. I am confused, because
I thought that glade was the defacto standard that Gnome wants
users to generate user interfaces.

gtkmm *does* have gtkmm: Gtk::Builder::add_from_file - and
I though that was intended to read those glade generated files.

Having a closer look at it documentation, it says:
Parses a file containing a GtkBuilder UI definition [...]

which seems to be described here:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkBuilder.html#BUILDER-UI
which says
"GtkBuilder parses textual descriptions of user interfaces which are
specified in an XML format which can be roughly described by the RELAX
NG schema below. [...]  It is common to use .ui as the filename
extension for files containing GtkBuilder UI definitions."

But, the example that follows on that page:

<interface>
  <object class="GtkDialog" id="dialog1">
    <child internal-child="vbox">
      <object class="GtkBox" id="vbox1">
        <property name="border-width">10</property>
        <child internal-child="action_area">
          <object class="GtkButtonBox" id="hbuttonbox1">
            <property name="border-width">20</property>
            <child>
              <object class="GtkButton" id="ok_button">
                <property name="label">gtk-ok</property>
                <property name="use-stock">TRUE</property>
                <signal name="clicked" handler="ok_button_clicked"/>
              </object>
            </child>
          </object>
        </child>
      </object>
    </child>
  </object>
</interface>

... looks exactly like my .glade file, and nothing like what
you are using:

  Glib::ustring ui_info =
    "<interface>"
    "  <menu id='menu-examplepopup'>"
    "    <section>"

Can't
glade write files without GtkMenu, GtkRadioMenuItem, etc? If it
can't, it's not compatible with gtk4 and gtkmm4, at least not when it
comes to creating menus. Classes like GtkMenuBar, GtkMenu,
GtkMenuItem, GtkRadioMenuItem have been removed from gtk4.

But as stated before I am using gtkmm3.
So it seems perfectly fine to still GtkMenu etc. The file
format can and is parsed by GtkBuilder; it just doesn't work
with radio buttons.

A bug?