Re: Additional Glib::RefPtr Safety Mechanism

No, the culture in C++ communities is that safety is something you
design in, not something the universe provides for you. This is
because C++ developers live in the real world, and it's the reason
code written in Rust is mostly astonishingly bloated, inefficient,
system-crippling junk.

Indeed but as a C++ developer I am sure you know full well that mistakes
do happen. I agree with you completely about the direction of Rust but
it does provide some evidence that there are those that aren't quite
satisfied with the safety of C++ by default. The difference is that
this additional safety instrumentation needs only be present during
debug time so shouldn't even exist within the release build of some
software. Unlike Rust where it is quite wasteful.

them. Your safety library may be great for students (although I'm not
convinced they wouldn't learn better by having a few catastrophic
experiences) but for real-world developers it belongs in a suite of
stuff like valgrind.

The biggest issue is that often many of them wouldn't experience any
catastrophic problems at all. They wouldn't even know anything was
wrong with their code. It is only when I would mark it and send their
binary through Valgrind it would light up like a Christmas tree!
Undefined behaviour is frustrating like that ;)

Best regards,

Karsten