utf8 and Glib::ustring

Forgive my ignorance - this'll probably be obvious to some of you...

Suppose I've got a simple character string, like this:-

      const char* my_str = "Hello World";

I can assign it to a Glib::ustring very easily:-

      Glib::ustring ustr = my_str;

BUT... instead of pointing to a 'normal' string (simple ASCII characters), let's suppose that 'my_str' was already pointing to a string in utf8 format. Will the same assignment still work - or is there some better way of assigning a utf8 string to a Glib::ustring? Thanks,

John