Animation

Hi, I'm using Gtk::DrawingArea to display a gate. I've been thinking about
how I could animate the images to make it look like the gate is opening.
The only thing I could think of so far is to make a lot of images and then
every x seconds display the next image. I also thought about trying to use
a image processing library to edit the image in memory, so no need to have
tons of images. Wanted to use GIMP, but seems the API is only for plugins.
Any recommendations on the animation? Thank you again!