Re: Downloading GTK++ Dev for Windows

Hello James,
I had the exact same problem when porting from linux to Windows, and to tell you the truth is was the biggest pain in my life which ended with no success.

However after painful struggling I found another solution which granted me most recent version for Windows including most recent compiler version!

First thing you need to do if you want to use latest gtkmm is to forget about Microsoft compiler and Visual studio, and instead use GCC, first because nobody makes builds for most recent MSVC and second compiling on your own as I told you.. is *very painful*!

There is already built gtkmm3 package for mingw (GCC port for Windows) both 64bit and 32 bit.... so here are the steps for you:

1.) download MSYS2 from http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation
     (make sure you download the version for your platform (32 or 64)

2.) It is important to follow *all* installment guide from the above link!
3.) once MSYS2 is installed *and* configured as described go to install directory and open open up mingw64_shell.bat or mingw32_shell.bat depending on you desired toolchain and then type:
     pacman -Ss | grep gtkmm3

   output of above command will look something like this:
  mingw32/mingw-w64-i686-gtkmm3 3.14.0-1
  mingw64/mingw-w64-x86_64-gtkmm3 3.14.0-1

 finally to install ie. 64 bit gtkmm3 package type:
  pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-gtkmm3

and there you go James, you now have most recent gtkmm in matter of minutes!!

also to install ie. 64bit GCC toolchain (compiler and other stuff) you run:
pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-gcc

pacman will install all dependencies you need, additionally you may want to install more tools such as make.
you can browse available packages by typing:

pacman -Ss | grep "desired package name"

To actually code you may want to consider downloading ie. Code::Blocks IDE and make your IDE setup such as: include directories, and toolchain settings.

Everything you need to setup your Development environment is located inside mingw64 or mingw32 directory once all the packages have been installed with pacman!

good luck James and please don't even try to compile with Visual Studio MSVC on your own because you could fail just like everyone else who tried!

21. Jan 2015 00:53 by james walsh setoreaustralia com:

Hi Everyone,

First off, I’m a relative newbie to gnome development, so please be nice J

I’m porting an existing system over to Windows and am needing to compile libxml++, requiring glibmm > 2.31.2. As such, I’m trying to download the latest GTKmm build, but the download link at http://www.gtkmm.org/en/download.html which returns a 404 at http://live.gnome.org/gtkmm/MSWindows

The only resource I could find was the wiki page (https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gtkmm/MSWindows) linking to the FTP server (http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/gtkmm/) but the last build there was 2010-11 for version 2.22 of GTK.

Can anyone advise what the broken link should be or where I can obtain the most recent GTKmm release with the newer glibmm builds?

I did download the latest glibmm on its own but MSVC is giving me a whole bunch of missing files for some reason, so I thought GTKmm might be an easier ‘all-in-one’ solution ready to go. If I can’t get the latest GTKmm on Windows, getting glibmm working manually will be my next point of attack.

Thanks,

James

Regards,

Dr. James Walsh

Research Fellow

Wearable Computer Lab          Ph: +61 (0)8 830 23976

University of South Australia

DISCLAIMER: This email and any attachments are confidential. They may contain privileged information or copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact us at once by return email and then delete both messages and all attachments.