Re: Deprecated Gtk::Stock replacement?!

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 19:07 +0100, Markus Kolb wrote:
Hi,

what should be used instead of the Gtk::Stock labels on buttons?

The documentation is not really helpful:
"Stock items have been recommended for use in buttons. From gtkmm-3.10
they are deprecated. They should not be used in newly-written code.
However, the documentation of namespace Gtk::Stock shows recommended
labels and named icons to show in buttons."

Yes, that text, from here,
https://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/gtkmm-tutorial.html
is a bit odd.

The gtkmm tutorial (book) is out of date in many places now due to the
many deprecations and API additions in GTK+ (and therefore gtkmm) over
the years.

Unfortunately recent GTK+ deprecations often lack proper explanation. We
try to discover the reasoning, but often we just have to make gtkmm's
documentation repeat the vague statements that are in the GTK+
documentation

e.g.
extern GTKMM_API const Gtk::BuiltinStockID CANCEL; /*!< @image html
gtk-cancel.png
                                                     * @deprecated Do not
use an icon. Use label "_Cancel". */

The Gtk::Stock:: stuff had translation "built-in". So do we have to
translate the default system buttons on ourself again.

Yes, I find that really annoying too.

I believe that the logic is that the translation would be very context
dependent anyway. But I don't find that very convincing.

 Or what should be
used?

You can continue to use them, or just assume that they don't exist, I'm
afraid.