Re: Using C++11

On Wed, 2015-07-01 at 19:44 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
Overall, I think now is the time to break ABI. We won't have another
chance until GTK+ 4, which might never happen. I think we should
combine
this with using and requiring C++11, to get that out of the way too.
suspect that using C++11 would cause ABI breaks too, but plenty of
better-informed people doubt that, so I'm just being pessimistic.

Does anyone object to the ABI break?

Then again, if Ubuntu breaks ABI now (or if they do parallel
installs),
but doesn't use gtkmm 3.18 until the next Ubuntu version, the second
ABI
break will be our fault.

Ubuntu is breaking ABI due to the libstdc++ ABI change, like Fedora is
doing. But they are sticking with gtkmm 3.16 instead of the current
gktmm 3.17/18.

And even if they were using gtkmm 3.18, I now don't think we'd get away
with piggy-backing our own ABI breaks on top of the libstdc++ ABI break.
Ubuntu and Fedora are been very careful rebuilding the right packages
and handling the intermediate states, but I don't think they'd do that
for us and we would never have been able to get them to use just the
right version at just the right time to not be bothered. Sorry for the
false hope.