Implementing a custom layout using gtkmm

Hello all,

I am trying and failing to implement a custom layout using gtkmm.
Unfortunately there don't seem to be any examples on how to do this in
either C or C++. I attached my approach (including some test widgets).
The problem is that the widgets are never actually drawn. I would have
thought that a Gtk::Layout would delegate the `on_draw' call to its
children according to their placement in the layout. Is this assumption
wrong or is the error somewhere else in my code?

ax487