Re: What are the xxx_docs_override.xml files good for?

2014-04-15 13:18, Murray Cumming skrev:
On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 13:09 +0200, Krzesimir Nowak wrote

If I remember correctly, overriding documentation by adding entry to
xxx_docs_override.xml was the only way to do it, before gmmproc
learned to handle docs in hg files. So, I'd say that this would be
deprecated by now.
Sure. If we don't need that system then I have no objection to replacing
it.

When I looked more closely at the docs_override files, I noticed that they are not completely unnecessary.

1.
<function name="gtk_drag_dest_get_target_list">
    <mapping class="Widget" />
</function>
This means that gtk_drag_dest_get_target_list() is a method of class Gtk::Widget, although its name does not reveal that. I think it's the only way to give gmmproc that information.

2. It's possible to override only part of a method's documentation. Can be useful e.g. if only the description of the return value shall be overridden.

Nevertheless, the size of the docs_override files can be reduced. I have started by removing unnecessary parts of gdk_docs_override.xml and gtk_docs_override.xml.