Re: Replacing Gtk::Action and Gtk::UIManager with Gio::Action and Gtk::Builder

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 22:45 +0200, Krzysztof Kosiński wrote:
2013/9/26 Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>:
because we cannot yet break the ABI to add Gtk::Actionable as a base
class for several classes:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtkmm/commit/?id=3381c0aea10891a2dccc49b5e450fd497a3cb807

FWIW:
From my perspective, it would be far more desirable to have complete
and high quality C++ bindings which break the ABI more often than
GTK+, rather than to have incomplete bindings which keep the ABI.

I understand, but there are huge practical difficulties when we break
the ABI, doing a parallel-installable version of gtkmm. It would take
about 2 years for packages to get into the major distros, and another
year for applications to start using it. This would create work for us
and generally annoy people.

We've seen this with the gtkmm-2.0 to gtkmm-2.4 transition and with the
GTK+-2.0 to GTK+-3.0 (and gtkmm) transitions.

I think it's not worth it until there are more major issues that we
would fix.

www.openismus.com