What does the file extension ".hg" mean?

or to ask a better question... "how up to date are the MSVC project files that come with glibmm?"

I just tried to build glibmm using MSVC 2005. The supplied MSVC project contains these four "cc" files as the first 4 source files in its list:-

        balancedtree.cc
        bytearray.cc
        bytes.cc
        checksum.cc

However, if I try to compile any of those files (or indeed, most of the others) I get an error saying that the relevant file doesn't exist (which it doesn't). Taking those four files as an example, although I can't find any such files with the extension ".cc", I do find equivalent files having the extension ".hg". It looks like each ".hg" file should somehow get converted to its equivalent ".cc" file. Should that conversion be getting done by the MSVC solution - or do I need to run some kind of pre-build step?

'README.win32' suggests that I should simply be able to load the MSVC solution and then build it, without first needing to do anything special - except for adding the relevant 'include' and 'lib' folders for my system. Has something changed since the MSVC projects were constructed? Or (like the README file suggests) should it be very simple to build immediately from the MSVC solution?

John