Re: auto-generated file 'gtkmm/widget.h' (widget.hg)

On 13/08/2013 15:34, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:

There are many glibmm versions in the subdirectories of http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glibmm/

Yeah, I just picked 2.28.2 because it was stated as being the most recent stable version. I don't mind trying the others but I can imagine it being a long job :-(

Do you know which program prints those error messages? gmmproc? The perl interpreter? Another program?

If I had to make a guess I'd guess at M4 (only because it usually says "M4 aborting" after the error messages). I reckon that guess is pretty safe though, because although M4 itself hasn't changed, the contents of 'glibmm/tools/M4' are greatly different between the old glibmm (v2.28.2) and the latest version (v2.37.4).

A typical call to gmmproc from a Makefile in gtkmm/gtk/src is
/usr/bin/perl -I"/opt/gnome/lib/glibmm-2.4/proc/pm" -- "/opt/gnome/lib/glibmm-2.4/proc/gmmproc" -I ../../tools/m4 -I /opt/gnome/lib/pangomm-1.4/proc/m4 -I /opt/gnome/lib/atkmm-1.6/proc/m4 --defs . widget . ../gtkmm

In my case I'm building on Windows. My equivalent command for building gtkmm/gtk/src looks like this:-

perl -IF:/+GTK-SOURCES/gnu-windows/src/MB3Glibmm/tools/pm
    F:/+GTK-SOURCES/gnu-windows/src/MB3Glibmm/tools/gmmproc
     -I F:/+GTK-SOURCES/gnu-windows/src/MB3Gtkmm/tools/m4
        -I F:/+GTK-SOURCES/gnu-windows/src/MB3Glibmm/tools/m4
          -I F:/+GTK-SOURCES/gnu-windows/src/MB3Atkmm/codegen/m4
-I F:/+GTK-SOURCES/gnu-windows/src/MB3Pangomm/tools/m4 --defs . widget . ../gtkmm

I've split the command across several lines just for clarity. It's probably worth mentioning two things:-

1) Firstly, the same basic command (suitably modified) can be successfully used to build glibmm, atkmm and pangomm. Only gtkmm is causing any problems.

2) Secondly, that funny quirk (where the #ifndef got put inside a comment) isn't the only example of that happening. In fact, there seems to be a general problem if a comment happens to precede a preprocessor directive. The preprocessor directive seems to get put before the comment (whereas if I look at the same files from a tarball) the comment usually comes first and the preprocessor directive second. In that quirky example from 'widget.h' there are 3 comments immediately preceding the preprocessor directive. I suspect that might have something to do with the problem. Hope this all helps.

John