Re: Why does this behave the way it does?

Kjell Ahlstedt said the following at 02/29/2012 03:19 AM :

> I looked in the source code of GtkTable, and I think the error is in
> gtk_table_size_request_pass3().

Well that certainly explains a lot... in particular why it seemed very
mysterious :-) Thank you so much for following this up and discovering the bug.

> Since Gtk::Table is deprecated and you should use Gtk::Grid in new code,
> I also tested with Gtk::Grid. The result is the same, with the added
> complication that Gtk::Grid ignores rows and columns where no widget has
> been attached. Such rows and columns is allocated no space, not even if
> the grid is homogeneous, i.e. all cells have the same size.

Oooh! That's interesting. Thank you for making things much clearer.

So suppose that the bug were fixed, and also suppose that I switch to using
a Grid instead of a Table (since if that's deprecated, they might not be
willing to fix any bugs related to it). How would I get the Grid NOT to
ignore those cells where nothing has been attached?

I want to do this because normally one notionally starts with a completely
empty set of cells arranged in rows and columns (like a sheet of blank
squared paper) and then wants to place rectangular areas that might contain
text into that set of cells. It may well be that not all of the cells will
be part of any rectangular area (i.e., some squares on the sheet of paper
will not be used), so how does one get the grid to display correctly in
that case?

> If you file a bug report, assign it to gtk+.

I will do that. Thank you again.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR