deprecated: ruler

Hello,

I have an application built with gtkmm 2.4, which uses the deprecated
Ruler class. I have two related questions, one of which may not be right
for this list, but any help here would be appreciated.

First, is there a recommended way for me to upgrade to gtkmm 3.0 and
still continue to use the ruler in my application? For example, would it
work for me to download the most recent Ruler source from somewhere and
incorporate that into my application?

Second, and I apologize if this does not belong here... I am about to
upgrade from Ubuntu 10.4 (which assumes gtkmm 2.4 by default) to Ubuntu
12.4, which installs gtkmm 3.0. The upgrade process tells me that it
will remove libgtkmm-2.4-dev and various friends (such as gtkglextmm)
that I also use. If I go ahead with the Ubuntu upgrade, will I be able
to re-install gtkmm 2.4 and gtkglextmm afterwards?

Well, I suppose a third question: is gtkglextmm compatible with gtkmm
3.0? (I am hoping so, but if not, that would explain why the Ubuntu
upgrade wants to remove it.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marge
http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mcoahran/BargelloSketcher/index.html