gtkmm3 and global objects

I'm just getting started with gtkmm3. I looked in the documentation, but
couldn't see how to resolve this simple issue:

The tutorial at

http://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/sec-basics-simple-example.html.en
implies that the very first gtkmm call is supposed to be to Gtk::Main(argc,
argv).

How does arrange for this to happen if one is creating global gtk objects
(i.e., objects created before main(argc, argv) is entered)?

(One could obviously cheat and have only pointers instead of fully-fledged
objects declared globally, but I'd rather understand the real solution and
use proper global objects rather than add a layer of indirection that
wasn't necessary before I started porting the program to gtkmm.)

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR