Saving OpenGL image to file

Hi,

I am developing a GUI for data visualization using OpenGL. This is done through the gtkglextmm library, using the Gtk::GL::DrawingArea widget.

Now I want to add the "Save image" feature. As far as I understand, saving images in gtk is done through Gdk::Pixbuf objects, which can be instantiated from a Gdk::Drawable, but NOT from a Gdk::GL::Drawable.

My problem is: How do I create an instance of Gdk::Pixbuf if all I have is a Gdk::GL::Drawable (or Gdk::GL::DrawingArea)??

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Best regards,
Samuel.