Re:

Can't the boost smartpointers just be copied right out of boost and used
as just headers? I'd rather see some clear instructions about how to do
that in a project, rather than attempting to reinvent that wheel.

Boost's specific license is similar to LGPL but I don't know if they are considered to be compatible.

Boost's smart pointers can also be found (with little differences) in GCC's TR1 under GPL 3.

Or they could be clear instructions about how to use boost.