Gtkmm application looks blocky

I have been writing an application with gtkmm for Windows. I have finished it
and would like to package it so I can redistribute it, but when I try to do
this, the application looks funny.
I created a directory that has the executable and all the relevant DLLs, and
the program runs, but the widgets look all blocky and rectangular whereas
before they looked nice and smooth.

If I remove libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll from the directory so that it is instead
loaded from C:\GTK\bin, the program looks right.

If I backup C:\GTK\bin and rename the directory with the executable and DLLs
to C:\GTK\bin, it looks right, even though none of the files in the folder
have changed. This in particular confuses me. Do I need to set the PATH
variable or add a registry key or something? I can't really think of an
explanation for why this would happen

Any help is greatly appreciated!
-Kirk

Here is a link to an image that shows how the windows look when it is loaded
differently.
http://img688.imageshack.us/i/windowv.jpg/