Can gtkmm be used in a plugin of a normal plain gtk application, i.e. with an existing separate gtk main loop?

Dear list,

I've browsed through the docs and mailing list archive a bit but didn't find the answer to this question, so I'm asking here directly:

I have a (large) gtk application written in plain C. The application allows plugins to be loaded a run-time and offers the usual hooks so that the plugin can insert menu items and display gtk widgets somewhere in the application.

I'm unhappy with the C language for GUI programming and I'd like to evaluate alternatives. One idea is to check out gtkmm, but to restrict its usage into one specific plugin for the start. Technically, this means the event loop (and the command line options) will be processed the normal gtk way, i.e. after loading all plugins, the application will go into
  gtk_main();
My question is whether gtkmm can be used in this context. Can the Gtk::Main initialization done in a way that "hooks" gtkmm's expected main loop to a pre-existing other conventional-gtk main loop? The API of Gtk::Main obviously doesn't offer this possibility, but maybe you can tell me whether some tricks might enable this nevertheless.

Best Regards,

Christian Stimming