use of drawing area

I am (still) a newbie at gtkmm and have been experimenting with cairomm. In the tutorial the graphics are added to the window through a drawing area. When I do this, I cannot add other widgets to the window (labels/buttons). However, if I add the graphics directly to the window (that is the "on_draw" function applies to the window itself), it is possible to add other widgets (in an eventbox).

So: my questions are these: What is the advantage of using a drawing area for adding graphics (in this case custom decoration)? and Is there some way to add widgets to a window that contains a drawingarea that I have missed.

Thanks.

Andy Gilman