Re: Is there a way to help gtkmm for website translation?

On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 21:00 +0200, Mark Roberts wrote:
> About translations:
>
> Tao Wang wrote:
>
> > Just simply wrap each readable strings to <?php echo _("Welcome
> > to gtkmm")?>, and then gettext can extract the strings to form .pot
> > file.
> >
> > [ Available for Translators ]
> >
> > And then you can post the .pot file to l10n.gnome.org or
> > translationproject.org as "gtkmm-site", so translators will aware
> > that, and can translate it.
>
> This illustrates in a nutshell why so many gnome programs have
> translations that read as if every sentence had been translated by a
> different person. The reason is simply that every sentence is _really_
> translated by a different person, and that that person doesn't know what
> the program he is translating does, nor what context the sentence stands
> in.

I don't think that's generally true. The teams (or at least their
leadership) are generally small and close-knit, I think, with their
glossaries of technical words. Maybe your language just doesn't have a
good team.

And, more importantly, if you think it could be better, you can join
that language's team and improve things, and things generally get better
because people do that. But anyway, this is off-topic here.

www.openismus.com