Re: Thoughts on mm-common and gmmproc

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 19:00 +0100, Krzesimir Nowak wrote:
> Some people (Daniel, Murray, probably others, citations needed) said
> that it would be good to rewrite gmmproc (in python). I'd rather won't
> agree - gmmproc for sure is not perfect, but it could be refactored.
> Rewrites tend to throw away fixes and tricks in old software and
> present
> many new bugs. And also - rewriting it is too time-consuming (see:
> Netscape 6).

gmmproc's use of perl and m4 (and how those parts are interdependent)
makes it very hard to add new features or to fix problems.

A rewrite would be useful if it was easier to maintain. We have plenty
of existing .hg/.ccg code to check that a rewrite would still process
existing files correctly.

Anyone should feel free to play with ideas in a git branch, even on
gitorious or github if they don't have git.gnome.org write access.

www.openismus.com