Pangomm, troubles with two similar functions.

Hi all,
I'm getting troubled with pangomm, which is ( almost ) badly
documented; there isn't a cairomm mailing list, nor a pangomm one, so
I'm writing here.
Well, pangomm has two methods to draw in a Cairo::Context :

1 - [ show_in_cairo_context() ]
2 - [ add_to_cairo_context() ]

As far as I know ( perhaps I'm wrong ) the first one will directly
draw in the cairo context, the second one, instead, will push the
drawing job into the stack of Cairo::Context, then the text will be
drawn only if Cairo::Context::stroke() is called.
Anyway the text is drawn in a quite different way, with method (1) the
drawn text is clear and readable, close to the one which you read in a
browser, or here. With method (2), instead, the drawn text is almost
not readable ( not matter what font you choose, with a dimension of
~8, it's really bad ) owing to the huge "lines" which build up the
font.
Now I'm asking : what are the real differences between these two methods ?