Re: Apps in a usb memory stick

Hi,

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Sever P A wrote:

> My idea is distribute an application for M$ Window$ platforms but
> where not always possible to install anything there, and so runtime
> packages also. I wonder if it's possible to install all of them (with
> the application binaries...) in a usb memory stick.

Yes. It's been done.

> 1) If my usb stick is in F:, is in this case possible:
> F:\MyApplication\bin\MyApplication.exe ?

Yes.

> 2) If so, DLL files must be exactly where (in which folder).... ?

Windows will first look in the same directory the EXE was found in, in
your case F:\MyApplication\bin\. If all Dlls are in that directory,
Windows will find them.

You can place GTK's "etc", "lib" and "share" directories in the same place
(F:\MyApplication\bin\) and GTK will find them also.

> 3) must be pointed something additionally to somewhere from the
> application source code ?

Not unless you did something silly in your program.

I have a working example here. I will not clog up the list with it, but if
you want to take a look, drop me a note on mroberts manumark de and I can
send you a zip.

All the best,
Mark Roberts